Awards & Achievements
Laaviny consistently achieved excellent results for her studies from secondary to tertiary education:
- 7As and 3As for her SPM at SMK Assunta in 2013.
- WACE (Western Australian Certificate of Education), with high ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) score of 94.2 from of a maximum of 99.95, at Methodist College Kuala Lumpur (MCKL) in 2014.
- University of London BSc (1st Class Hons) (Accounting and Finance) at HELP Academy from 2015 to 2018.
Jared Lee Kah Meng
Jared completed his MSc in Economics and Philosophy at the London School of Economics and Political Science. He plans to embark on a career in management consultancy in the United Kingdom by the end of 2018.
Awards & Achievements
Jared completed his BSc (Hons) Economics from September 2014 to August 2017 with HELP Academy’s University of London Programmes, graduating with 1st Class Honours, thereafter, was admitted into London School of Economics for his postgraduate studies.
Johann Oh Hock Seng
After graduation, Johann joined CIMB Investment Bank as a management trainee in their “The Complete Banker” programme. He recently resigned from CIMB after 2 years of service, to join CompareHero, a leading financial technology start up for banking and telco products, as data analyst. Johann is intent on postgraduate studies by seeking admission for MPhil in Finance and Economics at Cambridge.
Awards & Achievements
Johann attended Wesley Methodist School in Kuala Lumpur before he registered with HELP in 2012 as a candidate for the Bachelor of Science (Hons) Economics & Management with HELP Academy University of London Programmes, completed his studies in 2016 and graduated with First Class Honours.
Dr. Chew Seen Meng
- Programme: First Class Honours in the London BSc Accounting & Finance Program
- High School: SMJK Catholic PJ
- Scholarship(s): Recipient of the LSE Entrance Grant. Cambridge commonwealth Trust for MPhil in Economics at Cambridge University
- Current work/study: Vice President at J.P. Morgan, Hong Kong
- Hometown: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Awards & Achievements
- Recipient of the University of Chicago Fellowship for PhD in Economics, studying under Economics Nobel laureates Milton Friedman and Gary Becker
Dr. Soo Kwok Tong
- Programme: Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours
- Scholarship(s): LSE External Study Scholarship for MSc (Econs); LSE Grant to pursue PhD in Economics
- Current work/study: Lectures in Economics at Lancaster University, UK
- Education: MSc (Econs) at LSE with Distinction; PhD in Economics at LSE
Awards & Achievements
- First student in the world to obtain 4 As in the University of London Diploma in Economics
- Won the Gerstenberg Award for being one of the top four Economics graduates in the University of London, both internally and externally
Chin Whey Ern
Chin Whey Ern commenced her University of London (UOL), London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance degree programme at HELP Academy in 2016 and completed it in 2019. UOL has confirmed that her good grades qualifiy her for the conferment of the degree with 1st Class Honours.
Whey Ern was recipient of the HELP Distinction and Merit Partial Scholarship Awards for all three years of her studies.
UOL had earlier presented Whey Ern with the Award of Excellent Academic Performance in the BSc in Accounting and Finance programme in 2018 for achieving 2nd year examination marks that were among the highest in the world.
Whey Ern studied at Methodist College, Kuala Lumpur, excelling with 2 A* and 1 A for her A-Levels. She also scored 6 A+s, 2 As and one A- for her SPM.
Kenneth Chiang Yik Kin
Kenneth, from Kuala Lumpur, is a candidate for the degree of University of London Bach of Science in Banking and Finance programme delivered at HELP Academy. Recipient of UOL (LSE) Excellence Academic Performance Award for his Year 1 examinations held in 2017/2018.
Awards & Achievements
- Scored 8 As for his Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM)
- Completed HELP Foundation at HELP Matriculation Centre in 2017 with 10 High Distinctions, 1 Distinction and 2 Credits.
Alicia Chen Mei Yee
After completing her UOL Bsc in Econs and Accounting, Year 1 at HELP Academy, Alicia was admitted to University of Bristol, England in 2018, as a candidate for BSc in Economics and Accounting, Year 2, and scheduled to complete Year 3 and graduate in 2020.
Awards & Achievements
- Recipient of UOL-BSc Excellence Academic Performance Award for 2017/2018 Examinations at HELP.
- Recipient of HELP Distinction Scholarship Award of RM 10,000 for her UOL BSc, Year 1 at HELP Academy.
- Achieved 4A*s at Cambridge International (CIE) A-Levels Examinations, for Economics, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics, and presented with Achievement Certificate in 2016.
- Studied at SMK Taman SEA, Petaling Jaya and scored 9 As for SPM, earning Award of Excellence in 2014.
- Recipient of SMK Taman SEA Award of Excellence for Pernilaian Menengah Rendah, (PMR) in 2012.
Vincent Wong Zhong Guan
Awards & Achievements
- Founder/Director of HOSTELPRO SDN BHD, accommodation provider for HELP University Damansara Heights Campus: https://www.facebook.com/helpunihostel/
- Director of VW HOME SDN BHD, accommodation provider for HELP University Subang 2 campus: https://www.facebook.com/vwhomedamansaraheights/
- Completing final year of University of London BSc (Economics) programme in 2019 at HELP Academy under HELP Merit Scholarship Award. Vincent has been achieving good grades and is expected to graduate in due course with good honours.
- Completed Foundation in Arts at HELP Matriculation Centre (HMC) under Distinction Scholarship Award, achieving a CGPA of 6.7 X.
- Vincent is from Johor Bahru, studied in Singapore and obtained 8 As for his O Levels.
Mandeep Singh A/L Manjit Singh
Mandeep Singh commenced his Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance degree studies in 2016 with the prestigious University of London (UOL), London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), conducted at HELP Academy. He was recipient of the HELP Merit Partial Scholarship for his studies, which he completed in 2018, and graduated in 2019 with 1st Class Honours.
He was earlier recipient of the UOL Award of Excellent Academic Performance in the BSc programme in 2018 for achieving 2nd year examination marks that were among the highest in the world.
Mandeep had completed his A-Levels at HELP Academy in 2015, scoring 2 A*s, 1 A and 1 B.
He studied at SMK Perimbun, Cheras, Selangor and scored 9 A+s and 2 As for his SPM.
Seer Qiu Zhi
Qiu Zhi aims to qualify as a professional accountant and is progressing in her studies with an ACCA studu centre in her home town in Johor in preparation for the ACCA professional accountancy examinations.
Qiu Zhi commenced her studies for the University of London (UOL) Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance degree programme at HELP Academy in 2016 and completed it in 2019. UOL had confirmed that she would be graduating with 1st Class Honours. She was recipient of the Foon Yew High School full scholarship for her 3 years’ of study at HELP.
She completed her primary school at Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan (C) Sedenak or Sedenak Primary School in Kulai, Johor, then progressed to Foon Yew High School (Kulai) for her secondary school education, scoring 5 As, 4 B+s and 3 Bs for SPM, 2014, and 8 As and 1 B for her UEC,. 2015.
She was an active musician at high school, playing the Chinese lute or “pipa” and had performed with the Foon Yew High School (Kulai) Chinese Orchestra for 6 years.
Yee Pei Shan
Yee Pei Shan is engaged as an audit executive with an accountancy/audit firm and concurrently preparing for the ACCA examinations to become a professional accountant in due course for a rewarding career in accounting and finance.
She completed the University of London (UOL) BSc in Accounting and Finance degree programme with HELP Academy from 2016 to 2019. She was recipient of the Chong Hwa Scholarship for her UOL studies. UOL has confirmed Pei Shan’s final year results and that she shall be graduating with First Class Honours.
Pei Shan went to Chi Man Chinese Primary School, Sentul, Kuala Lumpur, then studied at SJK(C) Chong Hwa Independent High School, scoring 8 As and 2 Bs for her SPM in 2014 and 5 As and 4 Bs for her UEC, (Unified Examination Certificate).
Extracurricular activities, mainly while studying at Chong Hwa High School:
- Interclass English Choir Competition 2012 (Class-Junior Middle, 2nd Runner-up)
- Interclass English Choir Competition 2013 (Class-Group B consolation Prize Winner)
- Interclass English Choir Competition 2015 (Class- Group A Champion)
- Participating 2014 Malaysian National Chemistry Quiz (K3M), achieving a Distinction Award.
Lee Hui Tian
Lee Hui Tian is planning to prepare and sit for the ACCA examinations to fulfill her ambition to become a professional accountant in due course for a challenging and rewarding career in accounting and finance.
Hui Tian completed the University of London (UOL) Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance degree programme with HELP Academy from 2016 to 2019. She was recipient of the Tsun Jin High School Scholarship for her UOL studies. UOL has confirmed Hui Tian’s excellent final year results and that she shall be graduating with First Class Honours.
She studied at Tsun Jin High School, Jalan Loke Yew, Pudu, in Kuala Lumpur, (founded originally, in 1913, as the Tsun Jin Primary School, by the Selangor Fui Chiu Association), for her school education, scoring 8 As and 1 B for her SPM in 2014, and achieving 9 As and 1 B for her UEC (Unified Examination Certificate) in 2015.
Samuel Woo Choong Yi
After completing his UOL studies, Samuel Woo was recruited by Ambank as Management Trainee under its AmGraduate programme. He plans to be an international or a regional Asset Management specialist. Samuel views AmBank as a very good banking institution for career development because of its priority on employee professional development and flexibility in terms of career options with the Bank’s diverse divisional operations.
Samuel commenced his University of London Bachelor of Science in Banking and Finance in 2016 programme studies at HELP Academy and completed it in 2019. UOL has confirmed that he would be graduating with 1st Class Honours. He was recipient of HELP’s Distinction and Merit Partial Scholarship for his UOL studies.
He completed his A-Levels in 2014, obtaining 2 As and 2 Bs.
Samuel schooled at Sekolah Sri Cempaka, Kuala Lumpur, scoring 9 A+s, 1 A + 1 B for his SPM in 2012, thereafter, progressed onto A-Levels.
Samuel is pleased to provide this advice to students and young graduates: “I hope that students develop a mindset that craves for knowledge, and discriminate only sparingly, if at all, when it comes to learning”.
Tan Kian Tat
After completing his UOL studies and corporate consulting internship, Kian Tat, commenced his preparation in September 2019, for the ACCA exams to fulfill his plan to become a professional accountant, aspiring to combat accounting fraud and malpractice, and develop and refine accounting standards that would add value to the profession.
Completed his University of London Bachelor of Accounting and Finance degree at HELP Academy in 2019. UOL confirmed that he shall be graduating in due course with 2nd Class (Upper) Honours.
Kian Tat completed his A levels in 2016, scoring 1 A 1 B and 1 C.
He studied at Sri Garden Secondary School, Kuala Lumpur and obtained 3 As, 1 A-, 3 Bs, 2 Bs and 1 C+ for his SPM, 2014.
- Treasurer of Student Council of UOL, 2017/18, Help Academy, 2018.
- Public Relations Director of Student Council of UOL, 2016/17, HELP Academy.
- Academic Excellence Award for A-Levels Examination, 2016
- Participated in the Cross Country, 2013 (8th placing) and 2014 (10th placing), Interhouse Football Game and Tug of War, and School Chess Team, 2014, at Sri Garden
- Won 2nd Runner Up, Best Actor and Best Story awards at Sri Garden Film Festival, 2013.
Kiat Tat’s advice to young students: “The key to success is to focus on goals, not obstacles”.
Hanson Hong Sheng Qin
In 2019/2020, Hanson Hong is completing his University of London (UOL) BSc (Hons) in Banking and Finance degree programme, delivered at HELP Academy (HELP) for which he is receiving HELP’s Merit Scholarship. In view of his good grades, Hanson is expected to graduate with top honours. Hanson is 3-time recipient of London School of Economics and Political Science’s (LSE) Excellence Performance Commendation for being among the top students world-wide in the Economics, Management, Finance and Social Science (EMFSS) degree examinations in 2016/2017, 2017/2018 and 2018/2019.
He obtained Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC) Certification in August 2019 on successful completion of the e-learning course which provides practical knowledge of financial markets and core functionality of the Bloomberg terminal. In the role of KPMG trainee auditor in 2019, he engaged with 5 major clients, gaining valuable insights into the oil & gas, and courier services industries. In 2018, as a summer associate with CRS Corporate Services Sdn Bhd, a boutique financial advisory specialist in corporate restructuring solutions, Hanson led a team for the verification of a property development revival project worth over RM 10M.
Completed UOL International Foundation Programme at HELP Academy under HELP Distinction Scholarship Award, scoring 4 As, in Mathematics and Statistics, Economics, International Relations and Sociology. At Lodge International School, Kuching, Hanson completed IGCSE ‘O’ levels, scoring 7A*s, 1 A, and 1B, was Secretary of the School Prefect Board, member of the Interact Club and Malaysian Scout Assn., and was a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity International.
Lieu Zhen Lit
Lieu Zhen Lit, from Johor, is Senior External Auditor with Deloitte’s Singapore since Jan 2019, specialising in company audits in the commodity, fund management, and banking and insurance sectors, and interacting with clients on information review, problem resolution and business/ process improvements.
Previous positions and industry experience in Malaysia, 2014 to 2018: Carlberg Group’s Management Accountant, Huawei Technologies’ Senior Regional Financial Analyst, External Audit Senior at Deloitte’s and intern at Grant Thornton Malaysia.
Undertook ACCA studies in 2015 and qualified as Chartered Certified Accountant in 2018.
Completed University of London (UOL) BSc in Accounting and Finance, 2011 to 2014 at HELP Academy and graduated with 1st Class Honours. Recipient of the HELP CEO Scholarship for all 3 years of study.
Sports and Extracurricular Activities:
- UOL Department Student Council member, responsible for organizing events, 2011 to 2014.
- Captain and Coach for the HELP Volleyball Team for Malaysian Association of Private Colleges and Universities (MAPCU) 2012 Sports Championships, 2012, and recipient of BEST SPIKER award.
Leon Tan Yan Zhang
With a passion in Data Analysis and Data Science and skilled in Microsoft management tools, Leon Tan has demonstrated a history of successfully working in the insurance industry with his main role in Business Analytics and providing senior management with business solutions.
Leon, from Seremban, Negri Sembilan, is Assistant Manager with Prudential Assurance Malaysia since 2015, providing business analytics and agency business planning solutions for senior management. He had previously, in 2018, also served as Management Associate with Prudential Singapore, contributing to 3-year agency goals and business plans.
Leon Tan completed his University of London (UOL) BSc in Accounting and Finance at the UOL Department of HELP Academy, graduating in 2015 with 1st Class Hons.
He completed Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) studies in engineering science from 2011 to 2012, at a private college in Petaling Jaya, with an ATAR score of 94.00, translating to an achievement as well as or better than 94% of the Year 12 school leaver age population.
Leon Tan has been a Prudential Volunteer for more than 4 years, contributing to
several Prudential Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes:
- PRUKasih, a programme that provides financial education to adults and working families to help them formulate financial solutions,
- “Cha-Ching”, a platform to educate young children on the importance of financial management when they are young, and
- PRUHome, providing enjoyable activities and learning for children on management independence when they are away from their parents and home.
Tan Jia Jin
Tan Jia Jin, who grew up in Taman Batu Permai, Kuala Lumpur, is progressing in 2020 as a final year candidate for the degree of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), University of London (UOL), BSc (Hons) in Banking and Finance (BSBF), conducted for all three years of study at HELP Academy’s UOL Department. He is recipient of the HELP-Chung Hwa full scholarship for his studies.
The Head of UOL Department has just nominated Jia Jin for a LSE scholarship worth RM 11,000 for him to participate in LSE’s prestigious 3-week Summer School in July 2020 for a course entitled “International Journalism and Society”. He had scored 4 As in the first year of his BSBF course, is awaiting the full results for the second year and is expected to graduate with excellent grades.
Jia Jin is President of the UOL Student Council at HELP. He has also organised a series of talks on social/political/economic issues held at a Jalan Dungun café in the vicinity of HELP, providing intellectual leadership for his course mates, peers and the Damansara Heights community.
He completed his secondary school education at SMK Chung Hwa Independent High School, Kuala Lumpur, achieving 8 As and 2 Bs for his SPM (Malaysian Certificate of Education) in 2016, and 7 As and 3 Bs for his UEC (Unified Examination Certificate) in 2017.